Chapter 9: Words of Jesus Christ
In this chapter the names of Jesus Christ and His actual words are listed. The conclusion, which will be reaffirmed at the end of this book, is that the Pearl of Great Price is truly another testament of Jesus Christ.
No chapter about Jesus Christ should be as short as this one is because as the gospel of John states: “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written” (John 21:25). But the value of the information found herein is Moses’s testimony that
· Moses and all mankind are in the similitude of Jesus Christ (see Moses 1:6);
· Jesus Christ shall be the Savior (see Moses 1:6);
· He is “full of grace and truth” (Moses 1:6);
· Jesus said: “By the word of my power have I created . . . worlds without number” (Moses 1:32–33) (Jesus is the Word, see John 1:1);
· He was Chosen and with the Father from the beginning (see Moses 4:2);
· He said to the Father, “Thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever” (Moses 4: 2);
· “As many as believed in the Son, and repented of their sins, should be saved; and as many as believed not and repented not, should be damned” (Moses 5:15);
· God commanded Adam: “Repent of all thy transgressions and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men” (Moses 6:52);
· “The Son of God hath atoned for original guilt, wherein the sins of the parents cannot be answered upon the heads of the children, for they are whole from the foundation of the world” (Moses 6:54);
· “The name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time” (Moses 6:57);
· Enoch looked “and beheld the Son of Man lifted up on the cross, after the manner of men; and he heard a loud voice; and the heavens were veiled; and all the creations of God mourned; and the earth groaned; and the rocks were rent; and the saints arose, and were crowned at the right hand of the Son of Man, with crowns of glory” (Moses 7:55–56).
The Names of Jesus Christ
The names of Jesus are sacred and important because they describe Him and define His purposes and roles.
The phrase “mine Only Begotten” is found twenty-three times in all scripture, seventeen times in the book of Moses. The fraction 17/23 is about 75%! He is also called “Son of Man,” “Jesus Christ,” and “Judge” (see Moses 6:57).
The prophet Enoch twice used a name for Jesus Christ that is not found in any other scripture. “When shall the day of the Lord come? When shall the blood of the Righteous be shed” (Moses 7:45)? And, “Enoch saw the day of the coming of the Son of Man, even in the flesh; and his soul rejoiced, saying: The Righteous is lifted up, and the Lamb is slain from the foundation of the world” (Moses 7:47). The unique name, RIGHTEOUS, is used only here in all scripture. Note the three other names used in these verses—Lord, Son of Man, and the Lamb.
More of His names found in Moses are:
Son is found 11 times,
Lord, most likely referring to Jesus Christ, is found 94 times,
Only Begotten Son 2,
Beloved Son 1,
Son of Man 8,
KING OF ZION is found only this one time in all scripture.
ROCK OF HEAVEN is also found this once in all scripture.
The word chosen, lowercase, is found 199 times in scripture but only one time with a capital “C,” CHOSEN, as found in the book of Moses. In total, the book of Moses restores four names of Jesus Christ: RIGHTEOUS, KING OF ZION, ROCK OF HEAVEN, and CHOSEN.
Words of Jesus Christ (fifty-seven unique words or phrases):Abominations, accepted, agents, anoint, asking, astray, bear record, broad, clay, cleansed (earth uses it too), climbeth, Comforter, CONCEIVETH, counsels, cursing, decreed, denied, devised, doom, dull, ENDLESS AND ETERNAL, enjoy, fierce, FORESWORN, forgiven, fowls, gate, immortal, inherit, justified, justify, kindled, kiss, maketh, MAN OF COUNSEL, MAN OF HOLINESS, mark, mouths, necks, nowise, oaths, peaceable, Perdition, pierce, prize, quickeneth, redeemed, rejected, sold, strive, taste, tillest, transgressions, unclean, utterance, vengeance, waxed.
(c) Marilynne Todd Linford, 2017